It was an unexpected goodbye on 27th July 2015 at Shillong when Dr Abdul Kalam said his last words at IIM and then went silent forever. The Nation mourns as it lost one of the greatest visionary and a humble human being.
However, there are a few things you probably dint know about Dr. Kalam
- His full name was Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
- After completing school, he distributed newspapers to contribute to his father’s income.
- He narrowly missed achieving his dream of becoming a fighter pilot, as he placed ninth in qualifiers, and only eight positions were available in the IAF.
- Because of his work on development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology he was titled as the Missile Man of India
- He was the Project Director of India’s first Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV-III) which successfully deployed the Rohini satellite in near-earth orbit in July 1980
- He has received several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
- In May 2012, Kalam launched a programme for the youth of India called the What Can I Give Movement, with a central theme of defeating corruption.
- He was nominated twice for the MTV Youth Icon of the Year award in 2003 and 2006.
- During his term as president, he was affectionately known as the People’s President
Dr. Kalam inspired us all. He has left behind a legacy. In his book India 2020, he strongly advocated an action plan to develop India into a “knowledge superpower” and a developed nation by the year 2020. We hope to fulfil this dream of yours.
RIP Sir APJ Abdul Kalam
Latest posts by Akash Boaz (see all)
- HR Tech & Analytics Platform, Darwinbox, Raises Capital from Multiple Funds Including Mohandas Pai’s 3one4 - July 27, 2016
- Hyderabad based NewsDistill announces the first personalized news player in the world - July 21, 2016
- Bangalore based Home rental startup Zenify raises $1mn in funding - May 11, 2016