Did you know that there are 68 different brands in India currently selling mobile phones? Of those, nearly 48 are homegrown, and they account for 70 percent of all mobile phones launched in the country. How about the fact that there were a total of 957 mobile phone launches in India in the year 2013, and this number is up a whopping 85 percent as compared to the previous year? Or that the so-called ‘phablet’ segment saw a 10x increase in 2013 when compared to 2012? These are just a few of the highlights from our comprehensive report on the state of the mobile industry in India.
Powered by 91mobiles’ extensive catalogue that lists all launches in the mobile segment, including handsets and tablets, and using research data derived from 125 million page views on 91mobiles.com by over 25 million people, this report encapsulates and charts how this industry in moving in India. In a nutshell, the report covers:
- Mobile phone launch trends in 2013 as compared to the previous year
- An indication of the growth in specifications and related trends
- The most popular devices and brands revealed, based on user searches on 91mobiles.com
- The tablet landscape in 2013
- A peek into the future, and an attempt to identify trends we expect to see in the short term
The reports contains tons of relevant information for those tracking the mobile industry in India, brands, users, and enthusiasts, and provides invaluable insights into the way things were, how they changed, and what the time to come might bring. While we’d certainly like for you to go through each and every slide, here’s a short summary if you’re pressed for time:
- There were a total of 957 mobile phones launched in India in 2013, as against 515 in 2012, representing a growth of 85%.
- Of the 68 brands present in the Indian market, 48 are homegrown and account for 70% of the total number of launches.
- The Rs 5,000 to Rs 15,000 price bracket saw the most number of launches in 2013, forming 38% of the overall number.
- Indian brands are shifting towards higher price bands as compared to 2012.
- Intex and Karbonn share the top spot with 65 mobile phone launches each in 2013. Samsung is the only international brand to earn a spot at the top, with 33 launches.
- Focussing only on the above Rs 15,000 segment, Samsung rules the roost with 12 launches.
- The phablet category grew 10x in 2013 as compared to the previous year. While Samsung kickstarted the phablet trend, Indian brands popularised them with a wider and more affordable range on offer.
- Dual-SIM phenomenon growing, but at a slower pace. In 2012, 70% of the handset were dual SIM, versus 55% in 2013.
- Based on user searches and page views, Samsung appears on top of the chart as being the most popular brand, followed by Micromax.
- The mid-range (Rs 5,000 to Rs 15,000) price band is the most popular amongst users, with the Samsung Galaxy S Duos and the Micromax A110 Superfone Canvas 2 taking the cake.
- The Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos is the most popular handset in the Rs 15,000 to Rs 25,000 band.
- Thanks to price drops, older devices like the Sony Xperia Z and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ruled in the Rs 25,000 to Rs 35,000 bracket.
- The tablet arena witnessed 13% YoY growth in 2013, with 194 launches and 61 brands in the fray.
Budget tablets occupy a large chunk of the overall market, with Indian brands dominating the scene. 58% of the total launches were priced below Rs 10,000.
- Slates with smaller screen sizes (7-8 inches) saw the most action, with 151 launches.
- The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the HCL ME U1 are the most popular in the below Rs 15,000 range.
The entire report is attached underneath. A must see if you are planning to get a new phone sometime soon!
Latest posts by Sanjay Negi (see all)
- Indian Mobile Phone 2013 Trends – A 91mobiles Research - January 29, 2014
- Micromax A117 Canvas Magnus – Rich features device with true value for money - November 25, 2013
- WhatsAppened to BBM? - October 30, 2013